This is our's crazy, it's hectic, but most of all it's fun!

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Part six: Game changer

Knowing the procedure was early the next morning was stressful. I was fearful of the news, yet I knew this was going to be our best shot at something happening. They told us before hand that once they got him to the cath lab regardless of which direction they were going it would be about an hour.

In the critical care waiting room they wake you up at 6:00 am on the dot. It's truly like boot camp. Or what I guess would be boot camp. Each evening you check in, receive a badge, your pillows, and blankets. Quiet time begins at 9 and lights off at 10:00 pm . I was fortunate enough to have my own little room that consisted of a couch, 3 chairs, a table with lamp, and a tv. I was able to watch mindless tv to drift off to sleep each night. I woke up a little earlier than necessary Thursday morning to spend a little extra time with Ryan before the procedure.

Once they got Ryan ready to be wheeled back they said I would be walking with them to show us where the new waiting room would be. I would need to check in once they got Ryan back and then get the rest of the family. We were ready to leave CCU for a brief moment. When I said we, I mean it took 8 people to wheel Ryan across the hospital. 3 to push the bed and give him oxygen, 3 to bring along the two trees for his IV, and the 2 nurses from the cath lab. A crew. Once they got to the cath lab, I checked him in, and went to get the rest of the family.

Ryan's family- parents, sisters, brother, papaw, uncles, everyone was there. We were all so very anxious for the news. I was shocked when shortly after 6, Haley texted me asking if I needed anything from Starbucks because she was on her way. I have the best friends. For her to willingly choose to be up and around at that hour and to be willingly to simply come sit with me during the procedure meant so much. I am so fortunate that she came to sit with me and make the hour pass in a blink. Your friends are there to let you talk about the situation at hand and then speak to you about mindless things. Petty things. Things that you so desperately need at that moment. So Haley, thank you so much for surprising me by showing up that morning and making the time pass so quickly.

Dr. Jones had introduced us to Dr. Hutchins who was the heart transplant surgeon. Basically the guy we didn't want anything to do with. He was going to be there assisting Dr. Jones in the procedure. The lady at the desk came and told us that they were finished and the doctors would be out soon. This is when I realized how quickly time had passed and the moment I was worried that everything happened too quickly so maybe something had gone wrong. As soon as the pair passed through the doors I think I stopped breathing. I was, but wasn't, ready for the news they were going to deliver. When Dr. Jones made eye contact, gave his infectious grin, and gave us the thumbs up we knew everything was okay and boy were we relieved.

He told us that everything had gone well and that they actually only put the heart balloon pump in because much to their surprise Ryan's heart was pumping much better than they thought. Whereas they were thinking only 10-15% it turned out it was closer to 20%. I should note that a healthy heart pumps 55-60%. The news was such a relief! We had prayed for the less evasive procedure and God delivered. We would be returning to CCU and that worry of a heart transplant was no longer a thought for us. They told us Ryan would be taken back to CCU soon and they would let us know when he was ready to be seen.

An hour later they told me he was back in CCU and I could go see him. This is when the shock hit me because they had two more machines. At this point Ryan had 6 machines surrounding him, keeping him alive. We were hoping that this would be turn around that we needed. Ryan's heart would now be allowed to rest between pumps, hopefully making his body stronger.

The rest of the day there were more laughs than tears. We felt so hopeful about Ryan's progress. We knew the balloon pump was the answer. We were thankful we took the chance when we had it. We shared the funny stories of Ryan and knew the day of him laughing with us were soon ahead.

Immediately after Ryan became sick a fundraiser was set up. While I felt strange about people wanting to help out financially, I (we) are forever thankful. My dad told me, people want to help you and the two ways most people know how is to feed you and give you money. That's what you and Ryan do. He was right. I just needed to sit back and let people love us. Let them show us that we care and say thank you as much as I could. The number of shirts sold blew me away. I received my shirt and actually got to wear it on the most important day that we had so far. It was perfect.

It got to see pictures of our hometown showing support for us. The outpour of support from our community was/is incredible. Even today people tell me how they continue to keep our family in their prayers. Incredible.

And green ribbon donuts from a local donut shop!
Ryan continued to do so well with the heart pump. He was looking so good and had dropped 10 pounds from the dialysis. We were on the road to recovery. We could feel it!

1 comment:

  1. Glad that the surgery went the way you all needed it to!


I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...