This is our's crazy, it's hectic, but most of all it's fun!

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Part two: Surviving day one


1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
3. a wonder; marvel.
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality

When Dr. McCracken told us we needed a miracle to turn a corner the only option we had left was to continue to ask for prayers. We so desperately needed these prayers and by this point it was simply by word of mouth. Word spread quickly of Ryan's illness. My phone was blowing up and I was fiercely trying to keep everyone in the loop because I knew the more people who knew the better off we were. 

We learned quickly there was little hope for Ryan. His entire organ system was shutting down. They told us their plan of action was to transport him to Arkansas Children's Hospital where Ryan would receive an ECMO since Baptist didn't have all the parts needed. They said this was the only option they had since his lungs and heart were barely working. At this point we were fine with the decision. All along we trusted the doctor's calls. A short time later they returned and delivered the devastating news: Ryan was no longer eligible for the ECMO. Candidates are ran through a checklist. One of the major requirements is that there is brain activity. This is when we learned that Ryan had none. A devastating blow to say the least. I'm human...I'm flawed. To hear your husband has zero brain activity hits you like a ton of bricks. You instantly picture his quality of life. You picture trying to explain it to your 3 and 1 year old. You remember signing the papers of your trust stating neither of us wanted a machine keeping us alive. Then, then you push out those thought and say no. Stop. This is not what's going to happen. He's going to be okay. The doctors did give us a glimmer of hope saying they believed Ryan's body was just in shock and that hopefully there would be activity once the initial shock wore off. They said they would be checking vitals every 15-20 minutes hoping they would see a change.

And we did.

Within 45 minutes we were told there WAS brain activity, Ryan was awake, and wanted to see me. 

We had received our miracle we so desperately asked for! God is good all the time. 

I got to see Ryan. SEE Ryan. He opened his eyes and he was IN there. My heart was full. As soon as I walked in the nurse asked Ryan if he knew who I was and he nodded yes. Then I asked my own questions and he responded appropriately. Relief flooded me knowing that my husband was there. His brain function was normal as far as we could tell. I knew that he could beat whatever it was that had made him so sick.

I guess now is a good as a time as any to say that during those two hours after we got to have a small visit with Ryan before they intubated him was when Ryan coded many times. They literally worked on him for two hours trying to get him back. It was a miracle that he was able to get stable and we are forever grateful that the doctors and nurses worked on him as long as they did.  Ryan had no prior medical history. No drug use. No illness. Nothing. The two things that he had going for him was the he was healthy and young. Those two reasons alone are why they chose to work on him for as long as he did. Dr. Jones, the cardiologist that we absolutely adore, told us the room was a mess from everything they were poking him with trying to get him back. It was only after the fact of learning this that it made perfect sense why Ryan was lifeless when we got to see him in CCU.

Ryan's pupils were blown. This, to a normal person (me), meant nothing when I heard the neurologist say it. The nurse even showed me, but again I was ignorant. Later, on the day we toured the hospital with Dr. Jones he told me that was when he thought Ryan was braid dead.

Slowly, however, his pupils returned back to normal. To God be the glory!

The rest of that day was pretty uneventful. The ECMO that was at once our only option was now off the table. Ryan was so far from needing that now and it was answer to our prayers. It was incredible that this was our first real victory. We were all on such a high and this is when our tensions eased a bit. The doctors kept Ryan sedated because it allowed his body to rest which it desperately needed.

 We had nearly survived the first day before the next hiccup occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...