This is our's crazy, it's hectic, but most of all it's fun!

Thursday, March 19, 2015

That time I got my wisdom teeth removed

I'm certain my wisdom teeth came in during college. 

They never bothered me. I just happened to notice them once and then every dentist appointment after that I was asked if they were bothersome. They never were so we just monitored them. 

Then I got pregnant with Claire and those SOBs hurt. Well one did. My bottom left. It was painful. It bled. I had a lot of pressure in my head. Once I had Claire it eased up and was only sporadic. 

Then, I went to the dentist office last fall and he said it was time to get them out. 

If you're wondering if I freaked out, I did. 

But, I put my big girl panties on and I made the appointment. 

I went to the consultation and honestly felt like I didn't get near as much info as I needed. I needed step by step of what was happening as opposed to oh here's your teeth and this is the day they will come out. 

It was scheduled three weeks out and of course I got all panicky about it. 

My appointment was on a Monday in January. I got the stomach bug so I called Friday morning and cancelled. I've never been so lucky to have the stomach bug.

I finally rescheduled over a month later. When I called on a Monday they told me they had an opening the following Monday. Oh, I'm sorry. Did you honestly think I would jump right on that? They must not know me well. I said no, too soon.  We settled for the next next Monday which was earlier this week. 

I had serious anxiety about it all. I did the most logical thing and did extensive research about it all. Googled had me convinced I was making the worst decision ever. 

I agreed. 

The funny thing is I was most nervous about being put under. I've never had any type of surgery so I was freaking out. 

My biggest fear? Not waking up. 

I had convinced myself I could tolerate the pain. 

But choosing to be put under left me scared. 

When I arrived for the appointment I had a nervous stomach and tears in my eyes. I kept telling Ryan to tell the kids I loved them and he kept saying you can when you're finished.

Such an optimistic. 

When they called me back I went into silent mode. I didn't want to talk. I didn't want to be friendly. I just wanted someone to silently know I was struggling for reassurance and for them to tell me all was okay. 

They got me in the chair and I checked the clock. 8:10. This was it. Before I knew it they stuck a mask on my nose and I began breathing the gas. I noticed myself calming down but then realized I was and began wondering if I needed to breathe through my mouth to stop inhaling it. I didn't want to feel calm. Then I wanted to ask what if I was breathing through my mouth during surgery what would happen. They started the IV and  then I wanted to ask... 

Then I woke up in recovery. With Ryan. 

And I swear two seconds had passed. 

Then I asked to see my teeth because that's logical right?

She was nice enough to retrieve them for me as I decided she was sweet enough that she and the whole office deserved cupcakes. However, I was sad because I knew today was Monday and the cupcakes place was closed. Travesty. 

I got in the car and text my mom. It was 8:42. Ryan took me to get a milkshake and then home. I know we went and saw my mom at her office but I'm not sure why. 

The rest of the morning is a little bit of a blur. I do know I was so thankful that Ryan moved the recline to the living room where I was laid up with gauze in my mouth. I was very desirable at this moment in my life. 

I did survive and it wasn't nearly as horrible as I expected. The Vicodin made me throw up. Twice. But, they called in medicine for that and I was set. I'm 3 days post surgery and feeling ok. I think my mouth is more sore than in pain and I'm just so ready for real food. Pudding, yogurt, applesauce, and mashed potatoes get old quick. 

I should also note how absolutely disgusting the holes in your mouth are. All 4 of my teeth came out. Although, I argued with Ryan that they only took out the bottom. Why would they do that knowing all 4 needed to?? Well, all 4 did. I was wrong. And high. 

Back to the holes. Y'all. Seriously. HOLES.  No one prepared me for that. I don't know what I really expected but certainly not that. And rinsing them out. Dear Lord. I wasn't ready for the junk that comes out. I hope I get more used to it because right now it just makes me queasy. 

Phew. Im happy it's over. I'm ready to be fully recovered and to have no pain or pressure in my head anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...