This is our life...it's crazy, it's hectic, but most of all it's fun!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snow day spent in a ditch

What I wanted the snow day to consist of: nothing but smiles! Like most everyone else, I was excited about the anticipated snow we were going to have today. Ryan took me to work and I had the intention of only working half a day regardless of whether or not the bank stayed open. I lucked out and the bank closed at noon so I wanted for the hubby to come pick me up to take me home for a nice afternoon of relaxatin and cuddling. So I thought...

We had to meet Ryan's boss in the bank parking lot in order for him to pick one of Ryan's coworker that rode with Ryan to get me. They had to pull his truck out of their work parking lot in order for him to get home. When we were finally headed home we got stopped behind 3 cars and quickly determined that the road towards our house was closed and turned around to go another route. This is when Ryan's coworker called us and informed us of bad news...he had left his keys in the back seat and we would have to meet them. Crap. Normally, I honestly wouldn't have cared about trekking around during the snow, butI had one very little problem and it comes in the form of a baby's big head that rests firmly on my bladder. Ryan was trying to be funny and joke about the situation, but I wasn't having it. Even the little kid we saw who had obviously face-planted in the snow and his daddy was wiping him off, reassuring him he was fine, wasn't funny to me. I desperately needed a bathroom.

We drove all the way across to McDonald's to exchange the keys and I immediately ran into the bathroom for fear that I wouldn't get home in a timely manner. Little did I know what was about to happen.

We ventured down Hob Knob road in order to make our way back home...and we missed a curve. Now, before you assume we were going to fast we in fact were not. The hubs knew I was on edge at this point and just wanting to be home so he made it a point to be careful. We just simply had zero traction going around the curve and ended up with the entire drivers side in a ditch...a deep ditch. It was so steep that had I not been wearing the ole safety harness I would have most definitely been sitting on top of the steering wheel. It was a miserable ordeal...I was "stranded" for 2 hours while my husband, a very, very nice stranger attempted to pull us out (got stuck himself), and then another stranger drove them to get a tractor of our friends. I really could not believe that a. I was sitting in a ditch with everything in the truck on the left side. 2. It was still snowing with no hope of quitting soon. 3. That I am 8 weeks from delivering a baby and in this situation. 4. That I already had to pee again. I've for sure seen better days... I decided that I only had one option and that was to bravely (carefully) get out of the truck, venture through the snow, and pop a squat behind the tree...which I did. It was definitely a first for me and I honestly hope I never have to do it again because it.was.freezing.
They finally returned with tractor and we had some neighbors (thanks to my coworker calling and asking them to come retrieve the stranded pregnant lady!) come get me and bring me home. By the time we had arrived at the house Ryan called and said the truck was out. Thank goodness. I really feared leaving the truck there or even wasting money on a wrecker. I'm pretty sure I got a hundred "I'm sorrys" today, but I was quite a trooper about it. I was able to potty, we randomly had a banana in the truck for me to eat in case I was starved, and the snow provided plenty of "water" so I wouldn't dehydrate...add that to my pregnancy hormones and ability to be comfortable in 20 degree weather I would have been okay. It was such a long, eventful afternoon and I was ready to be home relaxing with my pup.
But nooo, there was other plans in my future...one that involved what I have dubbed "performing surgery." Let me share another story: I moved Bobby into the garage since he was basically snowed in his little house. I hadn't gotten his food and house moved in there no more than 15 minutes when I heard the most horrible crying. Squealing really. I immediately thought it was a helpless mouse that Bobby had caught in the garage, but it in fact was worse. It was a tiny bird that happened to be stuck to a sticky trap...along with my cat's paw. I just saw feathers and head what was more clearly chirping. Now, I am an absolute sucker for animals...any animal. So I quickly removed Bobby from the trap, picked it up and hurried it to the deck and assessed the situation. Little bird's feet were stuck and one wing. He kept trying to fly off and was "crying." My heart seriously broke for him. I'm honestly happy that Ryan was on his way home because he probably would have just been a man, killed the little bird, and been done with it while I sat there and mourned over him. So, I went into doctor mode, grabbed scissors and pliers and proceeded to free the little bird. You would have thought I was a brain surgeon as careful as I was to make sure I didn't rip his little talons and break off any more feather that he had already lost. Sticky traps are just that. Sticky. Very...in fact nothing should come off of one. After much coaxing, pep talks, stress, and chirping I got the little bird free. He jump over and fell through the crack on the deck (picturing how little he is?). I lost it. You would have thought that I had just learned that someone dear to me had passed away that way I was sobbing. Even though he appeared fine on the ground (sitting up in a normal position and moving around) I felt horrible for the little bird. I just wanted him to fly away and join his family that I was so sure he had wanting on him. I apologized to the bird as much as Ryan had apologized to me. I immediately began washing dishes to get my mind off of the bird, but couldn't help checking through the crack every few minutes until finally he was no where to be seen. I felt better instantly. I had saved the little guy and he was headed back to his nest. I'm glad Ryan missed my meltdown of the bird ordeal...I'm glad he got home when he did and was still willing to take some "snow" pictures with me and the pup...I'm glad we finally got to relax about 5 tonight where we both fell right asleep...I'm glad we are sleeping in tomorrow...I'm glad I still love him even after today...I'm glad that today is almost over and we get to start over tomorrow. I just hope it's a little less eventful.



Oops...the only (minor) damage thank goodness!

Little snow baby actually enjoying being outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...