This is our life...it's crazy, it's hectic, but most of all it's fun!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Birth Story

I just knew Monday night would be horrific. There would be no such thing as sleep for either of us knowing that the following day we would be having a baby. I know that I needed rest, but a million and one things were running through my head so I didn't actually crawl into bed until closer to 11:30. I know I prayed over and over again that things would be okay and that the delivery would go as smoothly as possible. Also, that in the event of something happening to me, that Ryan would be able to find the strength to raise our son. It's insane the thoughts that go through your head when you are right at the end. I ended up sleeping like a champ...Ryan claims he couldn't because someone was snoring extremely loud. I never snore, but I guess that night my body knew that I needed it. And, Ryan survived.

We had set the alarms for 4:30 since we had to be at the hospital at 6:00. I woke up right at 4 and knew there was no point in laying there for 30 more minutes so I got up and started getting ready. At 5:30 we called to make sure I had a spot at the hospital, which we did, so 15 minutes later we headed out as husband and wife only to return as mommy and daddy.

The most reassuring thing about going into this whole ordeal, besides knowing that God was going to take care of my family, was that my best friend was going to be my nurse the entire day. I knew she would be there at 6:30 because I had already got the low down from her on each and everything that would probably happen. She showed up a little early with flowers in hand and I instantly felt better. The nerves that I had were lifted and I knew we were going to make it through the day.

I got hooked up onto the monitor and heard that beautiful little heartbeat. I also got to see that I was already having contractions, which I couldn't feel. Haley went ahead and checked me and I was at a 4. Not bad if I do say so myself! Ryan and I just sat around with Haley like it was any other day...not a day that would change our lives altogether.

I knew that the doctor would be by sometime between 8-8:30 to break my water. At 8:50, he finally made it into the room checked me and proceeded to release the H20. This was honestly just about the nastiest thing ever. You are sitting there, being checked and the next thing you know water is literally gushing out of you. The best way to describe it? Put a good size water balloon between your legs with the tied end facing the floor. Cut the end off with a pair of scissors. Feel the release of warm water. Yuck. At that very moment I was sooo thankful my water never broke at home. I think also Ryan was happy as well since he had a fear that the bed would be ruined. It very well could have been...and even if it was salvagable, I don't think that we could ever look at our bed the same way again.

Now, once all that water was out of me I suddenly had the urge to pee. Of course. With water still coming out of me at a slower pace I was absolutely nervous to get up and use the bathroom. But, you do what you have to do and my hubs helped me to the bathroom.

This would be a good time to mention that husbands are such an asset during the whole labor/delivery. You will rely on them a lot more than you thought and they will see you in the most awkward disgusting moments. It's almost comical.

We got me back into bed and I just sat around...waiting for the contractions to really start kicking in. I had pitocin going as well so it was just a waiting game. Once they really started to get uncomfortable and made my toes curl, I knew that it was probably time to order an epidural. Haley had told me that it could be 30 or longer, just depending on when they could get over to you so I told her to go ahead and get him notifiied because if it was the latter then I definitely wanted to get in line. When I was really in pain I was at a 5. Mission accomplished. That was the one thing that I seriously wanted to do before I got the epidural. Make it halfway there and by the time I did make it to that point the pain was pretty serious.

I always wondered what contractions would feel like. For the week and a half before I had Wyatt I was having period-like cramps down low. I figured these were mild contractions, but always referred to them as cramps. These were in fact the mild contractionst that I assumed they were because the full blown contractions...the ones that made my toes curl...felt just like those period cramps but about 100 times worse.

Not 10 minutes after I had told Haley to go ahead with the epidural request I was sitting up on the side of the bed getting my back prepped about to get it. Never would I have dreamed it would happen so fast. Think 15 minutes tops and the pain from it all? Almost non-existent. He told me step by step what was going to happen and all that I honestly felt was something similar to a bee sting. Bottom line? Epidurals are amazing and my was perfect. I had complete control of my feet and toes (which proved to be comical to the doctor as I was wiggling them non stop after each push.) He even seemed surprised that I never felt any pressure until he was crowning.

Within minutes of the epidural taking a effect, I was "banging out contractions" as Haley put it. Did I know? Absolutely not...not until I looked at the paper and saw that they were literally hitting the top of the page and staying there. I'd say I got it att he perfect time...I was checked about 1  and was at a 6. I was progressing at about 1 cm an hour so we figured by 5 or so I would have a baby...About an hour passed when my dad decided to go get some lunch when I told him Haley wasn't going to check me again for about 2 hours he said his farewells and everyone left me and Ryan so I could get some rest. (I had already had a short cat nap earlier...I'm telling you epidurals are heaven.) So not 10 minutes into being alone we suddenly heard a gurgling downstairs. I felt it, but Ryan actually heard it. Gross, I know. Being the silly wifey that I am, I told Ryan to "see what that was." Looking back now I should have just got Haley to come and see and saved my husband, but I honestly thought it was more amniotic fluid oozing out. WRONG. When Ryan pulled the covers back all I think he saw was a bloody mess. My bloody show which was apparently extremely bloody...He went solid white in all of 2 seconds and just stuttered "I'm going to get Haley." Haley returns after what I am sure is Ryan scaring her because of the look on his face, his paleness, and the way he said "Sarah needs you." She come in to check me again since that was a little differet and when she did I was at a 9. So yes, I dilated from a 6 to a 9 in about an hour...I immediately told Ryan to call my dad and tell him to come back because if I had changed that much there was no telling how quick I'd get to a 10. He agreed and made the call. This is kinda when everything started speeding up and I remember the fear setting in. I was about to be pushing...This was the part I had dreaded from the moment I got pregnant. It's because you don't know what to expect....it's something you have never experienced and it's something that no one can prep you for, they can only share their story.

I had read and read about how to push. You push like you are pooping. It's that simple. And that awkward.

I ended up pushing for 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The crazy thing about the whole pushing thing is how boring I thought it was. I would sit there between pushes and be so bored. Thankfully I had my bff, Ryan, mom, and country music videos to entertain me a bit.

I was given oxygen for a minute and ended up keeping it the whole time...not because I needed it and even Haley knew that because she told me I didn't have to wear it, but because it had become my comfort zone in a weird way. That and it gave me an extra boost during those pushes. WHICH, I was expecting to push in 3 ten second intervals, but I pushed through and did 4. I am sooo thankful that I was in shape during my pregnancy because I honestly feel that it helped my endurance for 2 hours of pushing.

Not only was the pushing boring, it made me so thirsty. Ice chips just did not do me justice. I was dying for a huge Dr. Pepper...which while I was at the end Ryan text my dad and told him to have me one ready. Could that have been my motivation? Maybe.

So, my dear child finally got down there and we could see he had some hair. Mid-push, haley exclaims, "he's got red hair!!!" I immediately stopped pushing, pulled my oxygen off said shut up, laughed, and started pushing again.

When he was finally where he needed to be and it was time to call the doctor I was crushed to hear that he would need some time at the clinic because he still had 3 patients to see and they had all been there for 2 hours or more so he was going to check them and then head over to deliver Wyatt.

Seriously. I know he was the only doctor and all the L & D rooms were full so he was doing a lot of running back and forth, but for real? I was supposed to hold my baby right there for who knows how long? It was about 15 minutes before he appeared and by this time Watt had slid back up a little so I would have to start pushing him down again. This wasn't happening as well as I would have hoped and the doctor made me more than nervous when he said okay, we've got a couple options here. Instantly I knew I was about to have a c-section. There was no doubt in my mind and I think my heart sank and tears probably formed. To my surprise, my two options were an episiotomy or to get the vaccum because he didn't think I could push him down again. He said out of the two, one had a risk on baby and one had a risk on mommy so which did I want to do. I knew which was which, so withouth hesitiation I said the episiotomy. Because my doctor is awesome though, he gave me the opportunity to try a few more pushes to see if I could get him where he needed to be...I succeeded! No vaccum and not cutting! I got him right where he needed to be.

I pushed and pushed and finally they told me to open my eyes and I saw it...I saw our baby sliding out of me. It was by far the strangest feeling ever, but also the coolest. Seeing the little person that you've carried around for 9 months actually being here in front of you is insane. It's a feeling that you can't describe unless you've been there.

What was the scariest was just how blue Wyatt was. His cord was wrapped around his neck, which I didn't freak out about because I knew that was common. When I only heard a few whimpers from him is when I got a little nervous. They told us they were going to hurry him to the nursery because his heartrate was high and he was dehydrated from the cord. After 35 minutes or so, I finally got to hold Wyatt but only for a minute or so, and Ryan even less than that before they rushed him to the nursery only to find that he was perfect as can be. We didn't get him back for 2 hours. It was sad because I didn't get the bonding time with my baby...by the time they returned him to me everyone was in my room waiting for him as well. Looking back now it breaks my heart that it wasn't just Ryan and I with the baby getting to know him before everyone else.

I, somehow, pushed out a healthy baby boy who weighed 8 pounds 13 ounces and was 21.25 inches long.

As soon as the doctor saw him he said, look at those cheeks!! Then, look at how big he is!

I am still amazed that I pushed him out...with only minor tearing on the inside. I like to think that I am quite the trooper!
I know that this is extremely jumbled and I wrote it over 3 days...if you think that pregnancy brain is bad, wait until you have mommy brain! I just really wanted to get the highlights down for me and the hubs...even though I am pretty positive I could tell this story 60 years from now and not skip a beat...it's just that special.
Here's the cutie at 4 days old!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...