This is our life...it's crazy, it's hectic, but most of all it's fun!

Monday, April 18, 2011

First night home

I have been a mom now for 6 days.

It has definitely been the quickest 6 days of my life and I am astounded that tomorrow Wyatt will be 1 week old. I have 12 weeks off from work to be with him and my only hope is that it creeps by even though I am 100% positive that it won't. I may just have to change my resume to Stay-At-Home-Mom April 2011-present.

I love being a mom. There is definitely no other feeling like it and when someone tells you that when baby is still in the womb, I kind of always wanted to roll my eyes and be like mer, mer, mer. Of course there is nothing like it people...it's a baby...it's something that came from you and your husband...it's something you created. But, when you actually have that baby and you bring it home your world is changed forever. Seriously...forever.

Our first night home with a newborn was quite an eventful one. By eventful, I mean we spent it in the closet thanks to tornado sirens that went off twice next to our house. Bummer. How things have changed for me and Ryan? On any other night with tornado sirens going off we would have questioned "how serious" we felt the warning was. Chances are we would have blown them off and continued to watch tv and hope that our satellite didn't get knocked out and interrupt the all important show we were watching. But now? Now that we have a baby to watch for we were both kind of on edge watching the storm on tv like hawks. As soon as the tornado siren went of we sprung into action. (Okay, so maybe I didn't "spring" so much considering I was still sore, but I did move pretty quickly if I do say so myself.) Our normal bad weather hang out is our bathroom, but I told Ryan there was no way I could get in the tub so immediately shoes started flying in all directions. The closet it was. Once all the shoes were out, half the clothes were thrown on the bed, and 10 pillows were in place the baby and myself crawled in. Somehow in all this Ryan also managed to pack the diaper bag. We were ready...for nothing. The storm quickly passed over with no tornado (thank you Lord) and so we restored our closet and proceeded to go to bed. Wyatt's first night home will always be a memorable one. It's not everyday you add a new member to the family and end up in a closet waiting to see if the big bad tornado is going to make an appearance.

If anything, I now feel confident that we sort of know what we are doing...

I will admit that I have had one new mommy breakdown which happened 4 days after Wyatt was born. I almost made it to 5 days. And, for the record, it wasn't a "I hate this! What have we done?!" breakdown. It was a "I'm a terrible mom because I don't know what my baby needs!" breakdown.

I got up with Wyatt for a feeding and decided to be a good wifey and let the hubby rest. When there was absolutely no hope in me getting him to stop crying and I had rocked and bawled (think big wet tears to where your eyes are puffy 2 minutes into the cry) I had decided I'd done enough damage and headed sprinted to the bedroom, woke Ryan up in a haste and said very calmy (err, okay maybe I shrieked) "Here! Take him!" Ryan very calmly (and sleepily) took Wyatt and headed off and demanded I go to sleep. Done. I slept hard for 3 hours straight, got up to check on my boys and learned that they were fine and got sent to bed once again. I slept about another hour and got up again and found that my little guy was still a little fussy...breakdown number 2 was about to start. Somehow though, I managed to remember the gas drops were were given... HEAVEN. Within minutes Wyatt was calm and all was well in the world. We went to bed as a family at 5 in the morning and didn't wake up until 10:15 when I decided the baby had slept long enough without eating.

It's absolutely crazy how your life changes in an instant...I would never change it for all the money in the world though.

Today, we headed to get our bilirubin checked. We passed with flying colors and he weighed 8 lbs, 9 ozs so only a 4 oz loss! I love my chunky butt!

And, for my enjoyment---mommy fit into regular jeans today and only has 9 pounds to lose! Yay!!


I love that I did this comparison. I still can't believe I was toting around an 8 lb, 13 oz baby!

1 comment:

  1. Love this!!! You look EXCELLENT!!!!! And he is a doll!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...